- How much does it cost to participate in MPAL’s programs?
- How do I sign up my child?
- Can I email the completed form and signed waiver?
- My child can’t attend every session, is that ok?
- I want to sign my child up for cooking class. What do I need to do?
- When can my child start attending programs at MPAL?
- When do programs start during the year?
- How old does my child need to be to participate in MPAL programs?
- Where do I park my car while at MPAL?
- Which door do we come in?
- When can I drop my child off for a program?
- Do I have to drop off/pick up my child or can they walk/ride their bike/etc.?
- What is provided for my child to participate? What do I need to provide?
- What attire is required?
- What programs does MPAL offer?
- What days/times are programs offered?
- Where do programs take place?
- If I have additional questions, who can I speak to?
- How does my child become Kid of the Month?
- How can I support MPAL?
- How is the Manchester Police Department involved with MPAL?
- Do we have to live in Manchester for my child to participate?
- When is MPAL closed?
- How will I be notified if a program is cancelled or MPAL is closed unexpectedly?
- Can my child hang out at MPAL?
- Do you offer camps over school vacation?
- Is transportation provided?
- My child has some behavior issues. Are they still allowed to participate?
How much does it cost to participate in MPAL’s programs?
Nothing! All of MPAL’s programs are 100% free. Necessary equipment is also provided at no cost. Some programs may have fees to participate in certain tournaments, but MPAL is able to help families who need it. Please see the program’s coach for more information.
How do I sign up my child?
We require a completed form and signed waiver for any child who wants to attend programs at MPAL. The forms can be downloaded here and brought in or you can come in and complete them in person.
Can I email the completed form and signed waiver?
No. We need to have the original, physical copy.
My child can’t attend every session, is that ok?
Yes – all of our programs are come as you can. Your child is not required to attend every session in order to participate.
I want to sign my child up for cooking class. What do I need to do?
We open sign ups for cooking classes two weeks prior to the class. You can sign up your child by calling us at 603-626-0211, emailing Judy, or coming to MPAL and adding their name to the sign up sheet near the upstairs sign-in computer.
When can my child start attending programs at MPAL?
We accept participants at any time of the year. As soon as we have a completed form and signed waiver you child is able to participate. Please note that while your child can participate in practices right away, tournament attendance will begin one a coach feels your child is prepared (when applicable).
When do programs start during the year?
Most programs run year round with no start or end dates. We put out a school year schedule (September-mid-June) and a summer schedule (mid-June-August) with the times/days but your child can start any program at any time.
How old does my child need to be to participate in MPAL programs?
- Judo – Age 5+
- Wrestling – Age 5+
- Aikido – Age 8+
- Arm Wrestling – Age 8+
- Cooking – Age 8+
- Boxing – Age 10+
- Jiu-Jitsu – Age 12+
- Cross-training – Age 14+
Where do I park my car while at MPAL?
Parking is available in the fenced-in lot across the street from the Lake Ave doors. Street parking in the area is also available. MPAL is not responsible for theft or damage to your vehicle or its contents.
Which door do we come in?
All programs should use the doors on Lake Ave.
When can I drop my child off for a program?
The doors will be unlocked about 10 minutes before the program begins. They should not be dropped off any earlier than that.
Do I have to drop off/pick up my child or can they walk/ride their bike/etc.?
MPAL participants are allowed to walk, ride a bike, or get a ride to MPAL programs. If they ride a bike, they can bring it inside and leave it just inside the doors for safe keeping. MPAL is not responsible for monitoring if your child is using the mode of transportation you want them to use and MPAL is not responsible for bikes/scooters/etc. that have been brought inside the building.
What is provided for my child to participate? What do I need to provide?
We have some items available for your child to use while in our programs including gis (Aikido and Judo), boxing gloves, wrestling singlets, wrestling shoes, and aprons. Your child is welcome to participate using their own uniform/equipment. Please see the program’s coach for more information about the gear available for use.
What attire is required?
- Participants should come prepared for the activity. Participants should not wear anything with inappropriate content including references to drugs, alcohol, sexual acts, violence, etc.
- Clothing that exposes the chest, abdomen, midriff, genital area, or buttocks is not permitted.
- Shoes must always be worn downstairs in the weight area. Only wrestling shoes can be worn on the upstairs mat.
- Recommended attire by program:
- Boxing: closed toed sneakers, athletic pants/shorts, athletic shirt
- Wrestling: athletic pants/shorts, athletic shirt, wrestling shoes (if you have)
- Aikido/Judo: athletic shorts/pants, athletic shirt. Gis are available for use. Please note: you must wear a top and bottom under the gi.
- Cross-training: athletic pants/shorts, athletic shirt, closed toed sneakers.
- Cooking: Aprons are provided, but your child should not wear anything that can’t get dirty.
- MPAL reserves the right to ask anyone who is not dressed appropriately to wear an MPAL shirt for the class or go home and change before they can participate.
What programs does MPAL offer?
MPAL offers a variety of programs through out the year including: Aikido, Ambassadors, Arm Wrestling, Boxing, Cooking, Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, and Wrestling. MPAL also offers additional programs during the summer months and school vacations. Please see the schedule for the current program offerings.
What days/times are programs offered?
The days/times vary. Please see the schedule for the current days/times.
Where do programs take place?
MPAL programs take place at the Manchester Police Athletic League located at 409 Beech Street in Manchester (the corner of Beech St and Lake Ave). Occasionally programs will involve tournaments or field trips to other locations. Information about these will be provided in advance.
If I have additional questions, who can I speak to?
Please speak to a coach or volunteer or
- Jayna Stevens, Director of Operations and Development, via phone (603-626-0211) or email
- Judy Penland, Operations and Development Assistant, via phone (603-626-0211) or email
- Officer Ryan Hardy, MPAL Coordinator, via phone (603-626-0211) or email
How does my child become Kid of the Month?
All coaches and volunteers are encouraged to nominate MPAL participants based on the award criteria. Nominations are reviewed by an independent panel who then selects the winner.
How can I support MPAL?
There are many opportunities to support MPAL. Please see our Support Us page for more details.
How is the Manchester Police Department involved with MPAL?
MPAL is an independent non-proft and not part of the Manchester Police Department (MPD), however, MPD assigns an officer full-time to MPAL. Currently, this is Officer Ryan Hardy. MPD officers also participate in our programs and special events.
Do we have to live in Manchester for my child to participate?
No, our programs are open and 100% free for everyone.
When is MPAL closed?
Closures can be found on the schedule. Please note: if the Manchester School District is closed or dismissed early due to snow or power outage, MPAL is also closed.
How will I be notified if a program is cancelled or MPAL is closed unexpectedly?
When a coach cancels a session or MPAL closes unexpectedly, it will be posted on MPAL’s Facebook and Twitter accounts and an email will be sent out. We will also put up a sign on the doors when possible.
Can my child hang out at MPAL?
No, all youth at MPAL must be there for a specific program. At this time, we do not have the option to hang out.
Do you offer camps over school vacation?
No, we do not offer full or half-day camps during school year and summer vacations. We do, however, provide additional programs during those periods.
Is transportation provided?
Not on an every day basis. MPAL may provide transportation for special events, field trips, tournaments, etc. as needed. This information will be shared in advance. However, MPAL does not provide transportation to or from MPAL on a daily basis.
My child has some behavior issues. Are they still allowed to participate?
Yes. MPAL welcomes all kids. Please let us know if you have concerns about your child’s behavior so our coaches can be aware.